The Thomas Jefferson (1825)
• Justice Story passed up a chance to further expand American Admiralty Jurisdiction
• In England, the admiralty judges had never claimed jurisdiction upriver further than the ebb and flow of the tide
• Libel claims wages earned on a voyage on the Missouri River
• Issue: Is there admiralty/maritime jurisdiction?
• Admiralty jurisdiction is found in cases where the service was substantially performed, or to be performed, upon the sea, or upon waters within the ebb and flow of the tide
• This voyage was several hundred miles above the ebb and flow of the tide and therefore, the wages cannot be considered as earned in maritime employment