Sunday, May 18, 2014
The Thomas Jefferson case brief summary
The Thomas Jefferson (1825)
• Justice Story passed up a chance to further expand American Admiralty Jurisdiction
• In England, the admiralty judges had never claimed jurisdiction upriver further than the ebb and flow of the tide
• Libel claims wages earned on a voyage on the Missouri River
• Issue: Is there admiralty/maritime jurisdiction?
• Admiralty jurisdiction is found in cases where the service was substantially performed, or to be performed, upon the sea, or upon waters within the ebb and flow of the tide
• This voyage was several hundred miles above the ebb and flow of the tide and therefore, the wages cannot be considered as earned in maritime employment
Earning a Juris Doctor (JD) degree is a significant accomplishment, opening a wide array of career paths beyond the traditional legal practi...
Class 1: Elements of Fundamental Value: Present Value, Future Value, Net Present Value: Elements of Fundamental Value (38) One year : ...
I can help you land in the top 10% of your law school class. Imagine, how your life would be different if you were in the top 10% o...
Corthell v. Summit Thread Company (1933) · Facts: Corthell is a salesman for Summit. He invents contraption that is bought b...