Friday, March 23, 2012
GM V. SANCHEZ case brief
GM V. SANCHEZ
• deceased failed to fully place the gear in park, and instead it was in neutral
• car slips into reverse, pins him, he bleeds to death
• owners manual stated that driver must take care to put car in park gear
• court says drivers are in better position to exercise duty of care – deterrence policy rationale
• post-defect, you are still responsible to act reasonably (don’t leave a car idling)
• court holds comparative negligence stands
• Would Hawk come out differently under Sanchez? Probably, because pilot had a duty to act reasonably (pre-flight check). However, pilot did not have duty to discover the actual defect of no oil
Earning a Juris Doctor (JD) degree is a significant accomplishment, opening a wide array of career paths beyond the traditional legal practi...
Class 1: Elements of Fundamental Value: Present Value, Future Value, Net Present Value: Elements of Fundamental Value (38) One year : ...
I can help you land in the top 10% of your law school class. Imagine, how your life would be different if you were in the top 10% o...
Corthell v. Summit Thread Company (1933) · Facts: Corthell is a salesman for Summit. He invents contraption that is bought b...