630 F.2d 876 (1980)
This law was pretty much never used between the time it was enacted (1789), and during the 1980s.
Filartiga was a Paraguayan dissident. Filartiga's son was tortured and murdered by a Paraguayan official named Pena-Irala (where does one get a name like that!?) in the state of Paraguay.
- The killing was politically motivated.
- Filartigia tried to get justice in Paraguay, was unsuccessful. :(
- Pena-Irala came to the US on vacation, and was sued by Filartiga (who lived in the US) under the ATS. (Maybe he will get some justice now!)
- The Trial Court dismissed the claim. Filartiga appealed.
- Trial Court found that the "law of nations" as used in the ATS does not govern a State's treatment of its own citizens.
- The Court was stating that they did not have jurisdiction over what Paraguayan officials did to Paraguayan citizens on Paraguayan soil.
- Appellate Court reversed: (looks like he will get some justice after all!)
- The Appellate Court looked to [The Paquette Habana (175 U.S. 677 (1900))], and stated that "the law of nations" should be interpreted as customary international law.
- The Court found that under customary international law, there exists a set of "human rights and fundamental freedoms."
- The Court also noted that the extent of those rights and freedoms is debatable, but surely includes the right to not to be tortured and killed.
- Official torture is prohibited by the law of nations. (this is a good thing!)
- The Court found that Filartigia actually did have a claim under the ATS since Pena-Iralia was accused of violating the law of nations.
Support us by:
Checking out our amazing store on Etsy: http://www.bohobuttons.com
While in law school I traveled the world. Puerto Rico. Egypt. Israel. The Netherlands. All over the United States. Costa Rica. Panama... How, you ask? I found ways to make money on the side. One of those ways was hosting my apartment on AirBnB. If you have an extra room, this is a perfect way to make some extra cash.
Since law school, I have traveled to dozens of countries for pleasure with my family. It's not rocket science. You just need to know how to start some side hustles. Another one of my favorite ways to make money is buying and selling stocks and cryptocurrency on Robinhood. Join now and get a free stock through this link: Join Robinhood and Get a Free Stock!